Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Elizabeth's French Onion Soup

Cucina Italiana

Today is a dreary day where I live and I heard that my friend Elizabeth is down with the flu. I searched all over for this recipe she emailed me years ago. I wished I lived closer to her so I could make it and bring her some.

Here is Elizabeth's soup - GET WELL SOON, ELIZABETH

French Onion Soup

I Spanish onion - cut up
2-3 garlic cloves - sliced thin
1TBsp balsamic vinegar (red wine vinegar will suffice)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 OXO sachets beef bouillon 35% less salt
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley (I grow tons of this and freeze in ice - the flat is sweeter than curly leaf) Use 2 TBsp of dried for a substitute
1/4 tsp dried thyme
Lots of fresh ground black pepper
3 cups water

Stovetop - Bring above to a boil. Cover. Simmer for 40-45 minutes.

Divide into 2 large soup bowls Let stand.

Spray a piece of tinfoil with veggie spray - whatever. Place two handfuls of seasoned croutons (any will do - or make your own earlier -mix 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil with 2 large crushed garlic cloves and brush on cut up pieces of bread - into the oven at 200 for 15min- rough guess - Better yet - just buy some. I digress. OK - croutons on sprayed tinfoil - one handful for each bowl side by side. Cut slices of mozzarella and place on top and sprinkle with Parmesan. Provolone is the best cheese but it is sooo expensive. Broil until cheese gets medium brown.

The reason for setting the soup aside was to let it cool a bit - this way the croutons will stay nice and crunchy. Now the secret ingredient. Before sliding the cheese croutons onto the soup - put 1/2 tsp of Jack Daniels bourbon in each bowl and stir. The bourbon (other brands just won't work - we tried - you can get a small bottle for $6.00 and it will last) pulls the flavors together and I guarantee - you will love it.




Buy at AllPosters.com

2 comments:

Eric Valentine said...

Welcome to the World Of Blog!

I can certainly vouch for the soup I have it all the time... Good start there!! :)

Laurie said...

Thanks Eric,

The soup is wonderful and seems to chase away what ails you.